Monday, April 6, 2009

Day 1-2 West Virginia Spring Break














































The 1st day was mainly spent traveling! We started our journey at 5:00 am and left from the St. Thomas More Student Center with Julie Tracy, our Campus Minister leading the way. There were 11 of us total traveling to WV. We made about 5 stops at gas stations on the way. I bought a scratch ticket (or two) at every gas station. Don't worry, I don't think I have a problem...I won $8.00 total! I used that money for my breakfast the next day, you'll hear about that in the next post!





Anyway so we ended up finally making it to Nazareth Farm to sleep over and the next day we set out for Bethlehem Farm. While at Naz Farm we all cooked dinner together and shared a wonderful meal.





After our meal I started to read the book Nickel and Dimed it's about a woman who is a journalist who free willingly decides to live in poverty in three different states: Florida, Minnesota, and Maine. I ended up finishing the book by the time my spring break was over. It's the fastest I've ever read an entire book. It was a great read and it really helped put poverty in perspective.









Day 2:





We woke up and went to church at 9:00am. Shortly after we went to the Cottage Corner (a local breakfast place). I ended up getting two meals with Andrew and we split them so we could both have hot cakes, bacon, potato's and an egg-over easy! The hot cakes were the best hot cakes I've ever had in my entire life! I think you can see that I enjoyed it judging by my practically empty plate!





After breakfast Julie took us to her favorite hiking trail! We ended up hiking and had a lot of fun together. After our hike we went to Dairy Queen.......EWWW. So gross! I personally would rather eat McDonald's but this trip is all about sacrifice and accepting what life throws you. Life threw me DAIRY QUEEN....I smiled and enjoyed the burger that gave me a stomach ache :)





Then we were on our final stretch to Bethlehem Farm. We were all very excited to finally get there.





~Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment