Sunday, February 21, 2010

Community Dinner at St. Thomas More February 12, 2010

I had so much fun with the UNH students cooking at St. Thomas More on Campus for the Community Dinner. There were over 15 volunteers that helped make dinner. We got had carrots, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and beats fresh from the UNH Organic Garden and another local farm. My job was washing peeling and cutting the carrots....what a task! We were making sweet potato burritos and they ended up being delicious. My friend Thais joined us for dinner and I saw a lot of familiar faces from when I was a student and met a lot of new students. Community dinners are a great way to meet new people and to share the joy of cooking. You would be surprised at how much some students know about cooking and how much some students don't know!!! Example.....once you take beans out of the can you need to was the gritty mess off them! Something my mom taught me at some point in life. Something I learned was how to make red velvet cake with beats! Pretty neat to eat local foods year round, I bet you didn't know you can grow carrots in the winter in NH- well you can! SWEET :)

No comments:

Post a Comment