Monday, April 6, 2009

St. Vincent De Paul Food Pantry February 18, 2009

Hello Again,
Here I am with Herb Salls in the back on the right and the St. Vincent De Paul's Food Pantry volunteer crew. Also, you can see Kevin Joyce on the left, he was my Guidance Counselor when I was in high school.
I went to speak with Herb before their pantry hours and also stayed to help at the pantry. I was there conducting a needs assessment for one of my classes, Community Nutrition. I am studying under Dr. Joanne Burke. We all conducted a needs assessment in a New Hampshire town, and I was assigned Exeter New Hampshire. I found there to be a great need in the town of Exeter for those who are using the food pantry.
1) Food Pantry participants stay away from fresh vegetables
2) Not enough refrigerator/freezer space to store items
3) Not enough education on how to cook on a low income budget

I conducted the needs assessment and I am in the beginning stages of writing a "grant". This grant needs to be as realistic as possible and done in accordance to Dr. Burkes guidelines. I am learning a lot about food insecurity, poverty, and hunger in the town of Exeter and have been able to learn about my platform.

~Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment